Thursday, December 6, 2012

Reset

Today I hit the melanoma "reset button". 2 weeks ago at my 3 month dermatologist checkup, I had 2 places biopsied, & found out today that 1 of them was malignant melanoma. It's "in situ" which means it's still in the top layers of skin, & more easily taken care of than last time. It'll require an excision of about a centimeter in diameter, plus some extra since they can't close up a circular incision. The 2nd one, on my leg, was atypical & they'll go ahead & do an excision there too (if this is done next week it's gonna ruin my 1/2 marathon for next weekend!)

The biggest lesson I learned from this is, we have to be our own advocate. I wasn't particularly concerned about either spot, but pointed them out to the doctor & he biopsied them because I'd noticed them & because of my history with melanoma. The doctor told me that he wasn't concerned about them either. I can't help but think that had I not pointed them out, melanoma could be spreading over the next few months, & I could have been in for more surgeries & lymph node biopsies. If you feel like anything is wrong, with your skin or anywhere else, insist that it gets looked at! Doctors are human & capable of making mistakes just like the rest of us, trust your instincts!

The clinical trial I'm participating in might also be affected by this new development. I've talked to the nurse & she will notify my oncologist & they'll have to see what's gonna happen based on trial protocol. I'm hoping I can continue, but I also know that whatever happens, I'll be fine. I believe everything happens for a reason, & if I have to stop the drug treatment, there is a reason for that. All drugs have side effects, & I've been fortunate enough to not have any so far, but there's no telling what's ahead. God may just have different plans for me, & His are most definitely better than mine :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Melissa. I found your blog from Chelseas's Adventures With My Enemy Melanoma blog. I live in Naples and am in the Ippy trial at the Moffitt Center in Tampa. This is my treatment week, or as I refer to it as...donating my body to science. I had my scans yesterday and I go back tomorrow for my chemical cocktail and to get my results. I really haven't had any side effects, other than a small rash on my arm and the occasional 'upset stomach'.
    I was diagnosed in October of 2010 with Stage 3 Melanoma. I had a 4 millimeter malignant melanoma removed as well as 26 lymph nodes from my back, but mostly under my right arm. The melanoma had only spread to one of the nodes, but my surgeon was aggressive in attacking it. Anyways, I've been cancer-free since my second surgery in November of 2010. I still have numbness under my arm and on my right side. I was told that I will always have it, to some degree or another, the rest of my life. It doesn't really bother me. I still golf and play hockey.
    The scars don't bother me at all. I already had plenty from years of playing hockey. Scars are like tattoos with better stories. Because of my 2 surgeries, I had an 11 or 12" diagonal one across my back, a smaller 3-4" next to it from the sentinel node biopsy, and a crooked 10-11" one under my right arm/armpit.

    Stay positive and keep kicking cancer's ass!
    Tom B.
    Naples, FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom! Thanks for sharing! As I write this, I'm at Mayo Clinic for my 3rd round of ipi. They've already done the bloodwork & I'll meet with my oncologist in about an hour & start the treatment about an hour after that. I'm sure you know the drill :) My melanoma & lymph node removal was on my left side & I was just telling a friend how I was surprised that it still feels a little stiff & numb, but I guess that's normal if you're 2 years out & still experiencing it. It doesn't stop me a whole lot either but it's annoying! Grateful to have just minimal side effects though, no signs of lymphedema or anything else! Hoping to continue that trend as I continue with the ipi as well. Well have a great day & hoping for good results from your scans!!

    ReplyDelete