Wednesday, November 14, 2012

More Blogs and Randomness

Ok, I got lazy the other day and didn't add a lot of the blogs I keep up with, so here's more, for those who might be interested:

Defying Melanoma

Black is the New Pink

Live In Our Skinz - From here, you can also visit the UV Skinz store for UV protective clothing!

Pretty in Pale

Em and Michael's Blog - also visit their "Stories of Survival" page!

Melanoma and the City

Melanoma Sucks!

Miss Melanoma

Tan Today, Tumors Tomorrow

Jillian's Journey with Melanoma

All of these blogs (and the ones I listed last week of course) have helped me to feel not so alone - don't get me wrong, I have a great family and great friends who have been there for me 150% and I've never felt "really" alone during this time, but when it comes down to it, no one really understands unless they've been there. Learning about their personal experiences with melanoma and treatment, and reading about the people they've reached and the positive attitudes they have and even the hardships they've faced has been an amazing blessing for me, and I am thankful that each and every one of them decided to blog so that melanoma newbies like me could learn as much as possible about the personal side of this disease! (Yes, I just used the word "newbie" - ugh, no one sounds cool saying that unless they're Dr Cox from Scrubs)

Warrior Eli Hoax Group - this is not a melanoma or cancer related blog, but it's dedicated to uncovering truth about a specific group of people who claim to have illnesses, or have children/family members with illnesses, either for the attention they receive, or money, or both. It's heart breaking that someone would feel the need to do something like that, but it's reality, and with the internet, I'm sure it's much easier to pull off, and I feel like we should all be aware of this. It's called Munchausen by internet - you may have heard of Munchausen syndrome, where one pretends to be sick to get attention, or Munchausen by proxy, where one pretends that their child is sick in order to get attention. I actually only knew about Munchausen because of Eminem (rappers can be educational you know!). I think we all know that the internet allows for a certain amount of anonymity, and we all have to be more careful about our interactions online with those we don't really know. Although these people might be physically healthy, they have a mental illness, and they need help. Be careful who you befriend online!

That leads me to another thought; It's really easy to sit back and judge others for the things they do or say that we don't agree with, and sometimes those things are clearly wrong - like in the case of the people who claim illness in order to get attention or money. And some people really are just awful, but who knows what they've been through to make them that way? I think that overall, we could stand to have more compassion and empathy for others. I'm pretty sure Facebook hasn't helped, because now everyone has an outlet for their hatefulness. Some days I'm just appalled at the judgement and negativity I see there, especially this past election season. I've got a newsflash for you, and I know this may be shocking, but you aren't always right! And the person who disagrees with you isn't always wrong! Anyway, that kind of went off on a tangent, but the point is, even when someone is clearly wrong, we can still have compassion and love for them. Jesus died on the cross for ALL of us, not just the ones who fit our little profile of what a "good person" is. We are all sinners, and God doesn't put our sins in categories like we do. Fortunately, He can forgive anything, and if He can, then we should at least try. I'm not saying any of that because I'm so good at being understanding and forgiving, I'm saying it because these are the things I tell myself on a regular basis, and maybe one day it will be natural for me to be a forgiving and compassionate person.

So, enough of that. Just maybe try to be a little nicer, especially on Facebook, ok?? Be kind to others, and also, be kind to yourself, and take care of your body, it's the only one you've got!

PS - absolutely no melanoma related news, no news is good news there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment