Tuesday, October 30, 2012

So It Begins....

I'm sitting at Mayo waiting to have MORE blood taken for my first immunotherapy treatment this afternoon. This is my first time posting from my iPhone app so if this post is weird, I blame the app! :) Yesterday I finally got the long awaited news that I'll get ipilimumab and not interferon in the clinical trial, which was the news I was hoping for. My treatment schedule will be every 3 weeks for 4 treatments, and then every 12 weeks after that, for about 14 months total. It'll be a whole day of Mayo Clinic fun every time, with blood tests in the morning, then an appointment with my oncologist, Dr J, & then the treatment itself which takes 3 hours total. But at least it's not very often, and the bad side effects should be minimal. There are of course nasty side effects that can occur, and they'll monitor me closely and pull me off the meds if I have serious side effects.

I actually feel ok about all this, I thought I'd be an emotional wreck today, but I'm not, I slept great, and I really feel pretty good. From what I've read, I shouldn't really have any side effects from the first treatment. I might be a little tired and/or nauseous but that should be it.

Well that's all I've got for today, hopefully there will be nothing else to report!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated. We are glad for the good news. Our family will be praying for you daily. -Mark and Lisa V.

    ReplyDelete