Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hillary Quinn Kind


Hillary Quinn Kind lost her battle with melanoma this past Sunday, just 2 days before her 26th birthday. She was featured in this year's Stand Up 2 Cancer, and I had heard of her, but didn't watch her video segment until today when I learned of her death. She was diagnosed when she was about 17, so please please please don't ever think you're too young for melanoma, or anything else! I don't share this to scare or worry anyone, especially those who are already worried enough about me, but to try and do my part to raise awareness for something that people still don't take seriously enough. If you smoke, it's pretty much accepted that cancer is a big risk, but if you tan indoors or out, no one really understands that it's putting you at greater risk for melanoma. That was me too, because my own mom had melanoma, and I continued to tan. And I can't say I don't miss it, to be honest! My biggest piece of advice though, is to see your dermatologist at least once a year, and if you feel like a mole needs to be checked, insist on it, whether your doctor agrees or not. There are plenty of cases when melanoma doesn't "look" like melanoma, and it's a sneaky, sneaky cancer. As great as your doctor may be, and as many people as you might have who love you and care about you, YOU are in charge of YOU and your health, no one else. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't see a dermatologist after my mom had melanoma, or at least when I noticed the weird mole on my shoulder. I don't dwell on it, because it's in the past and I can't change it, but I most definitely would if I could. Even at an early stage, melanoma can progress, but of course early detection is important, just like any other cancer. Hillary's wish was that something good would come out of her having cancer, so today, do something good for yourself in honor of this very brave and very strong young woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment