Thursday, April 4, 2013

R.I.P. Dawn

It's never a good thing to hear of someone passing away. No matter what you believe happens when you leave this world, it's still sad. Holes are left in people's life that are never re-filled quite right, no matter what. Husbands are left without wives, wives without husbands, children without a mom or dad, parents without their son or daughter, sisters and brothers without a sibling, and friends without one of their friends. It's very surreal to me the bond I feel with others who have melanoma, even though I haven't met any of them in real life. Some of them are Facebook friends, and some of them have blogs I keep up with, and I've never even carried on a virtual conversation with most of them. Dawn of [Defying Melanoma] is one of those people. I have been reading her blog for a while, and left a comment here and there, and that's it. But when I learned today of her passing, it didn't matter that I've never met her in real life, or had an email conversation, or anything. I feel such sadness for her family, but such awe of her attitude over the last weeks and months. 

Please go read her blog, even if it's just the last few entries, and take a look at her amazing attitude even lately while she's been in hospitals and doctors have been trying to figure out how to help her. If you pray, please keep this family in your prayers. Dawn left behind a husband and 2 young boys who will need supernatural strength to move forward without her. 

And PLEASE, don't tan in tanning beds, wear sunscreen in the sun, and go to the dermatologist to get your skin checked! It could literally be the difference between life and death. Dawn was only 39, and for anyone who is young enough to think that's "old", Jillian Hayes (see last post) was only 23. Both of these brave women were far too young to leave this world. Both of them tanned in tanning beds. Be careful and take care of yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment