Thursday, January 24, 2013

Happy Birthday To Me!!!

So yesterday was my birthday, and I happened to have follow up scans scheduled that day. Blood work at 7am (boo!) and a PET/CT Scan at 9, with an appointment at 2:30 to get results. I love that Mayo gives results the same day! The first 2 scans I had were at a different hospital and it took a couple weeks to get results. Especially the 2nd time, when no one seemed to know what was going on or who ordered the test to begin with, but that's a long story for another day. Anyway, ever since they scheduled the scans I've been a little anxious, which I guess is pretty common since the term "scanxiety" has been coined for this very thing. The day went by pretty fast, the break in between blood work and the scan was the worst, because I couldn't eat. But once the scan was over, I ran some errands, visited my mom at work for a little bit, then we went to lunch, where I took advantage of a great wine tasting special they had, then I wasn't so anxious for the appointment to get results! We got back to Mayo right on time, got called back almost immediately, and the doctor came in within 5 minutes of being in the room. Dr J, my oncologist, is probably the most caring doctor I've ever been to. Within seconds of walking into the room, he says those words we all want to hear after a scan, "Everything's fine"! The last time I had scans, it was on a Friday and my appointment wasn't until the following Monday, and he called me on Friday afternoon to let me know all was well. I really appreciate that kind of stuff. Also, after I left yesterday, he called me to say Happy Birthday and he was sorry he didn't notice while he was in the room. Little things like that mean a lot, and while his competence as a doctor is the most important, the fact that he seems to care about his patients as people means a lot! All in all, great birthday! I had tons of sweet messages, phone calls, texts, flowers, cupcakes, drinks, etc. 

I saw something on Facebook about 50 Bible verses everyone should know, so a couple weeks ago I decided to memorize one a week for the rest of the year, and I wanted to share this week's verses (the 2nd part isn't on the list, but I love it):

Isaiah 40:28 - Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 

I really love that last part and it means a lot to me, especially this week. People say that I'm strong and a lot of other nice things, but I know that I'm only strong because God gives me strength, where I am weak, He is strong and He gives me the grace to get through tough situations. For the past few weeks, I've had "scanxiety" and wondered if something was going to show up this time, knowing that if it does, that puts me in the stage IV category, but I also know that whatever happens, God will give me strength to get through. Whatever you are going through today, God will give you strength as well, you just have to ask for it and know that He will provide just what you need. It doesn't mean that life will be easy, or that you will always be happy about your circumstances, but He can make beautiful things out of the ugliness. I've met some wonderful people because I have melanoma, and I've had the opportunity to share with others through this blog and Facebook, and I've been so blessed in so many ways. 

Well, I'm gonna stop here before this short update becomes a long winded ramble! Later y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment